As a federal enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. On behalf of the German Government, GIZ currently is implementing a large number of projects in Lao PDR in two priority areas: rural development and sustainable economic development. For further information, please visit www.giz.de/laos.
The project “Protection and Sustainable Use of Forest Ecosystem and Biodiversity (ProFEB)” as part of the Lao-German Development Cooperation, commissioned by German Development Cooperation is currently seeking for a qualified and experienced Laotian candidate for the position of Field Assistant.
Starting Date: 01st June 2019
Duration of Assignment: 31st May 2020
Work Locations: Khammouane Province
Responsibilities & Main tasks
The Field Assistant is responsible for
- Supports the implementation agencies in the pilot province to test selected core elements of Timber Legality Assurance Systems (TLAS);
- Contribute to suitable training activities for strengthening the capacities of the main implementation agencies and stakeholders;
- Supports a strong stakeholder participation process between government agencies, civil society, private sector organizations;
- Contributes to lessons-learnt and experiences made from the initial implementation of core TLAS elements under local realities;
- Calculates budgets for trainings, workshops and other activities;
- Participates in meetings/workshops on the fieldwork process and assists in documenting these;
- Supports the procurement of equipment and ensure operation;
- Does verbal translations in English and Lao, whenever necessary in daily service;
- Writes translations of all relevant documents, project proposals and correspondences in English and Lao;
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- Potentially supports the implementation of Department for International Development (DFID) work packages.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in an area of Forestry (B.Sc. or M.Sc.);
- at least 1 year’s professional experience in a comparable position;
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies;
- Ability to work very precisely;
- Ability to live and work in harsh and difficult conditions during field-work assignments;
- Language proficiency in English and Lao;
- Willingness to work flexibly and to travel regularly;
- Gender knowledge is an advantage
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer. Women and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are asked to send/submit their application with a comprehensive CV including at least 3 reliable references and cover letter explaining their motivation as well as how their experience meets the requirements latest by 16:30 Hr on 28th of March 2019 to the HR Division of GIZ Office Vientiane. P.O. Box 9233, Vientiane Capital, or e-mail to email@example.com.
All applications will be treated confidentially and only short-listed candidates will be notified.