Vientiane International School is searching for a staff member as described below:
JOB TITLE: Lead Lifeguard (LL) / Swim Instructor & Coach (SIC)
REPORTS TO: Athletics & Activities Director (AD) with Aquatics Coordinator (AC) involved
MAIN RELATIONSHIPS: AD, AC, Swim Coaches, PHE Teachers, CCP Sponsors, Lifeguards, Community
TENURE: 2-year appointment with 60-day probationary period
RECOGNITION: Full Time
CONTRACT DAYS: 190 days per year – 40 hours per week (flexible hours)
The LL / SIC supports the PHE and Athletics programme through provision of swim instruction and lifeguard assistance for all pool related activities at the VIS swimming pool. The SIC / LL is responsible for actively managing the safety of the students and their engagement in the swimming programme under the direction of the PHE teacher during school hours as needed, the AD during pool related CCPs, and the AC during swim meets / competitions. The SIC / LL provides support within the swimming programme to ensure the maintenance and provision of materials and resources as well as the maintenance of a safe learning environment.
● Serve as the lead lifeguard for all pool related activities at the VIS swimming pool:
- During school hours (PHE classes for aqua units).
- During one weekend day of the established Community Swim hours.
- Competitions / Meets / Events.
● Support the VIS Swim Program:
- EY-10 PHE swim-related curriculum.
- Primary and Secondary Swim Teams & Swim Clubs.
- Co-curricular swim program.
● Ensure that aquatic responsibility is practiced by all pool users, following established guidelines for pool use (as communicated through mandatory safety briefings, signed agreements, and posted at the pool area) to the best of his / her ability.
● Work with the AC, PHE teachers, CCP instructors, swim coaches to ensure compliance with pool safety procedures.
● Assist with tasks as required by the AD and AC.
● Act as a role model of the IB Learner Profile and undertake the school’s Mission and Values.
Facilities and Equipment:
- Check regularly to ensure safety signage is visible.
- Check regularly to ensure that the pool’s safety/rescue equipment is in place and functioning properly and notify Facilities Manager if equipment needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Check regularly to ensure that the pool’s physical space is safe and notify Facilities Manager if repairs are needed.
- Possess knowledge of all safety / rescue equipment.
Competitions / Meets:
- Coach swim teams in local meets.
- Travel with swim teams to external swim meets.
- Prepare the VIS Swim Team for participation in interscholastic athletic competitions.
- Plan long-term seasonal plans and individual practice plans to support individual swimmer’s development.
- Help swimmers set personal goals for the season and maintain a record of their progress.
- Ensure appropriate information is communicated on a regular basis to AC, AD, PHE teachers.
- Season 1 : Swim Team Training for one local & one international meet.
- Seasons 2 & 3: Swim Club Training for for one local & one international meet per season.
- CCP activities as the swim team/club training schedule allows (approximately 4 hours / week).
- Training hours will be approximately 15 hours / week over a ten week period.
- Continually seeks to improve and enhance skills by setting professional goals (through appraisal) that promotes and develops skills and knowledge related to the position (coaching and lifeguarding).
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in related field and record of successful practice.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Adaptable/flexible and open to new ideas.
- Able to follow direction and be a good listener.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
- Appropriate computer skills.
- Excellent swimmer, physically fit, able to work long hours in an outside environment are essential.
- Possession of a current International Lifeguard Training Certificate and a current CPR Certificate.
- Experience: 1 to 2 years experience as a lifeguard.
- Provide a one page letter in English describing why you have the abilities required, and interest in the position.
- Provide a complete curriculum vitae that shows previous employment and educational qualifications.
- Provide the name and contact details of two referees.
Please submit your application to the VIS Human Resources Office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close on December 12th, 2018 at noon.